Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Season- Sarah MacLean

My rating: 5/5

Summary: from amazon

In Regency London, Alexandra is about to embark on her first season of balls and dinners, and while nothing would steer her mother from the course of marrying off her only daughter, 17-year-old Alex is put off by men's seeming lack of interest in women with any amount of intelligence (Evidently, it scares eligible gentlemen off). Her opinions about romance change when she develops feelings for her brothers' friend Gavin, who is mourning the sudden death of his father (making Gavin the new earl of Blackmoor). Mac-Lean's debut is well paced, and as readers fill up on descriptions of dresses and society's rules, another plot line develops: Alex overhears a conversation proving that Gavin's father was murdered, and she puts her relationship, reputation and life in danger to help him.

Review:

The Season is now one of my favorites! I love the whole idea of girls in gowns, Balls, London, War, Boys, plotting, and a mysterious murder. I loved that this took place in the 1800's. I just love that time frame for a book! The Season definitely didn't disappoint.

I loved the Character of Alex. She was not your typical naive quite girl in the 1800's. Alex was the complete opposite and so were her friends Ella and Vivi. They were all smart, beautiful, funny, and cunning. But I have to say that my favorite characters were Alex's older brothers. They were your typically funny and hilarious brothers. The three of them were all over 6 feet and looked out for there sister in a friendly manner without letting her think that they really cared.
here is a section from the book that describes the 3 brothers....

The sons in question-- William, Twenty-three, Nicholas, Twenty-one, and Christopher, nineteen--shared other familial qualities with their father, however: They were devilishly handsome, with dark-as-midnight hair, strong jaw, regal noses, and full lips that had made the Stafford's legendary since the early days of kingdom....

And of course we have Gavin who is equally handsome and amazing if not more.

Overall, this was a great book with amazing characters and plot. Recommended.

Kd

5 comments:

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

Might read this one after your review. Thanks! I have a book blog and was wondering if you could put my link on your list?

prophecygirl said...

I'm really going to have to read this soon. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and the 3 brothers sound great!

Danielle said...

Looks like you've already got my link up, but it's the wrong one. I want the link to be to my book review blog, if that's okay :] the url is here: theyabookblogger.blogspot.com, and the site is The Book Blogger. I'm linking you on there as I type...

Danielle said...

I have a contest going on for Hunger right now. Just telling you, cause you said that you wanted it :] WHo knows, you might win!