Monday, December 15, 2008

Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" - By Debbie Viguie



Summary from Amazon:

In a quiet fishing village seventeen years ago, one lone fisherman rescued a child from the sea. He and his wife raised the girl, Pearl, as their own daughter, never allowing themselves to wonder long about where she came from -- or notice her silver hair, usually pale skin, and wide, dark blue eyes.

Pearl grows from a mysterious child into an unusual young woman, not always welcomed in the village. As all the other girls her age find husbands, she has only one friend to ease her loneliness. One very special, secret companion: Prince James.

But their friendship is shaken when trouble erupts in the kingdom -- a conspiracy against the royal family combines with an evil enchantment from beneath the sea. Now, just when Pearl and James need each other most, bewitching magic and hints about Pearl's past threaten to tear them apart...forever.

Review:

Being that the Disney movie "The Little Mermaid" is one of my all time favorites, I had to get this book although it was a little short for my taste. After reading the book I found that I was slightly disappointed in the detail, especially in the ending. It seemed she almost got tired of writing at the end and simply put that they all lived happily ever after.


However, I did love this different and twisted version of the story. I found the characters very interesting and different from other versions of the story. This story is filled with many surprises and twists that kept you on your toes the whole time, as Pearl is telling the story. while Pearl is telling the story we get a glimpse of what is happening at the present while she is telling what had happened to put herself in this complicated situation. As you read you will find yourself wondering what will be the ending to this story.

Overall I found this book quite enjoyable. Though it was not as good as my favorite Disney movie, it was still a good read.

Spoiler:


I was a little disappointed in who pearl ended up falling in love with. In the Beginning the author leads you to believe that Pearl and James are going to fall in love. Then she brings in two completely different characters half way through the book. Though I did find the new relationships interesting, I still wanted Pearl and James to be together.

4 comments:

Hope. said...

lkjf l ke!
Katie!
I'm so happy!
I come on here, and there's a new review! :D

Hm. This book sounds good too.
And you know how I love The Little Mermaid...

hope.

Kaylee. said...

Katie,
This book sounds really good for the most part, but disappointing at some others.
And, yes, I would love to exchange links with you. :)

Laina said...

Hi!! This sounds good. Good review, too.

Do you want to do a link exchange?
http://lainahastoomuchsparetime.blogspot.com/

Bookworm said...

Looks like a beautiful story--I'll have to check it out!