Monday, December 22, 2008

Beauty: A Retelling of the Sory of Beauty and the Beast- Robin McKinley


Summary: from Harpercollins.com -

A strange imprisonment

Beauty has never liked her nickname. She is thin and awkward; it is her two sisters who are the beautiful ones. But what she lacks in looks, she can perhaps make up for in courage.

When her father comes home with the tale of an enchanted castle in the forest and the terrible promise he had to make to the Beast who lives there, Beauty knows she must go to the castle, a prisoner of her own free will. Her father protests that he will not let her go, but she answers, "Cannot a Beast be tamed?


Review:

I simply love retellings of fairy tales, and "Beauty" is one of my favorites. This version of Beauty and the Beast was wonderfully done. The only thing that bothered me about this book was its beginning. The beginning of the story was interesting but it seemed to take forever for the book to actually start, or when you are introduced to the Beast. After You meet the Beast the story takes off and you find it hard to put it down.


The characters in this story were also done well. Especially the Heroin of the story, Beauty. When you think of the character Beauty You probably Imagine someone well... Beautiful. However, our heroin is actually quite the opposite of her name. Beauty is not beautiful, but she is smart, clever, and interesting. The rest of her family and the Beast are also equally well done.


Overall this story was quite enjoyable with its different and surprising twists. I have to admit that I like this version of Beauty and the Beast more than the very popular Disney movie that we all grew up with.

Katie.

7 comments:

Hope. said...

If you like retellings of Beauty and the Beast another is Beastly by Alex Flinn. I really enjoyed that one. :]

hope.

Laina said...

I love this one!!!! Robin McKinley has another retelling of Beauty and the Beast called Rose Daughter, and that one's really good, too. Also, she wrote a retelling of Sleeping Beauty called Spindle's End.

Katie said...

Thoose versions of Beauty and the Best sound really good too, I will have to check them out! :]
I have heard of Spindle's End but never really knew what it was about, I definitly will have to check that one out as well! Thanks for the recommendations!

~Katie~

Chelsie said...

I have heard good things about Robin McKinley, and so I am really looking forward to reading something of hers... and I like Beauty and the Beast, so maybe this would be a good pick :)

<3 Chelsie
bookloverreviews.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I want to read this. I saw all the retellings at my library website and was debating on whether I should put them on hold. I think I will. :) You should be Beastly by Alex Flinn. I have the review on my blog, if you want to see it!

Tempestt said...

I want to read this. I love the cover! Great review! :)

robin_titan said...

I seriously need to read this book. I think I have it somewhere lying around...I better find it soon.